Friday, March 7, 2014

Pinning, pinning, and more pinning!

     Well my fingers have just about had it. For the last two days I've been pin basting my newest competition quilt. The final total came out to be 1700 pins. You read that right...1700. 
     There's really no other way around it. I've tried thread basting (have you ever tried to remove threads from under dense quilting? It's enough to send anyone to an institution), water soluble thread basting (it worked ok but the water soluble thread still has a loft to it which creates a small space between the top thread and the quilt leading to loose stitches), mistyfusing (which added another layer, and the mistyfuse added an adhesive layer which I didn't like). 
     You name it, I've tried it. It just seems good ole fashioned pinning works for me. But it takes time...lots of time...and creates sore fingers.

So here are some pictures of the process...

 
Layer 1. This is the backing taped down with painters tape to a tile floor. I like using painters tape as it releases easily. Also it makes it easy to pin on the tile floor. Also, isn't this fabric gorgeous? It was created by Sondra Millard and it goes perfectly with the quilt top. Thanks Sondra! 

Layer 2. I used Quilter's Dream Request Poly. I like using this batting as it is very thin but strong. Since I quilt on a domestic machine, I don't want too much loft in my batting. Also, I knew I was adding another layer of batting so I wanted to keep this first layer thin.
Layer 3. Quilter's Dream Wool. I like the combination of wool on top of poly because since I quilt for competition, I want the quilt to hang straight, look good, and diminish fold lines when shipping. The poly adds body to a hanging quilt and the wool gives a trapunto effect to any unquilted area without going through the labor of trapunto. It works very well!
 Layer 4 is the quilt top which I cannot show you at this time. It's a secret!

NOW comes one of the hardest parts...pinning:
It's a little tough to see the pins but trust me, they are there. All 1700 of 'em!
 While pinning is time consuming and a bit painful, it's all worth it. It takes me one step closer to what I love...the quilting! 
I just love creating quilts and enjoy each step of the process...and yes, even the pinning. 

Until next time...HAPPY QUILTING!

3 comments:

  1. I love, love your backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jerry! Love the tutorial! And that backing is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried the kwilt klip? i think that is what it is called i threw the box out already. looks like an ice pick with a blunt point with ridges. Helps save your fingers. Still waiting to see your quilt top that goes with this background.

    ReplyDelete