Thursday, April 17, 2014

How to build quilting confidence...

People have asked me how they can build their quilting confidence. My answer usually comes with blank stares and confusion. I tell them "easy...go to your sewing space, sit down in front of your machine, put your ego away, and work on the one thing that is your greatest weakness."

Ouch.

Why do I say that? Because it's true. We've all heard the old saying "you are only as strong as your weakest link" and it applies to quilting as well. If you constantly ignore your weaknesses, you've created a glass ceiling for yourself. You'll only be as good a quilter as you are at that very moment. You won't improve.
So how do you bust through that ceiling?
Let me give you an example:
Let's say binding is your greatest weakness. To a show quilter, a poor binding is the difference between Best of Show and First Place.
So if judges constantly critique you on your bindings...fix them!
If you make quilts for yourself and family, a poor binding will fall apart in the wash very quickly.
So if your bindings fall apart or wear out too quickly...fix them!
Find someone that is awesome at doing bindings and pick their brain. Have them show you how they create bindings and then practice, practice, practice those techniques.
With just a bit of effort, you will have bindings that shine!
You get my drift. Pick something you're weakest at and work on it until it becomes a strength.

Phil Mickelson, the amazing pro golfer has said:
"I never felt comfortable flying, so I went and got my pilot's license," Mickelson once said. "I never felt comfortable with being in an awkward situation, so I took up martial arts. I just always wanted to take on my fears head-on. That's kind of the way I approach golf. If there's a shot that I don't feel comfortable with, I'll go on the range and work on it until I do, until I turn that weakness into strength.
"Where I see a lot of mistakes being made out here is people practice their strengths, and they don't take their weaknesses and turn them into strengths," he added. "It feels better to practice things you're good at, not the things you struggle at, and I've always tried to do the opposite."

Awesome words indeed.

So what are your weaknesses? Be honest with yourself, dig in, and turn them into strengths.
You can do it. YOU GOT THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment