Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Fixed!

     After my harrowing day yesterday cutting through my quilt top (and several glasses of wine later) I decided to put things away and wait until today to find a solution. It was that or throw it all in the trash and start all over again. I decided on the former...
     The good news is that my quilt is fixed and I want to take you through the steps of what I did in case it happens to you (I sure hope not!). Now I realize there are many "fixes" that can be done but this was what I did based on my quilt and what I wanted the final outcome to look like. 
So here we go...

As you may recall in our last episode, Jerry was distraught because of this...
This is what happens when you cut away the fabric behind an appliqué and get over-confident and start to rush. Word of advice...be patient and slow down! 


  
      So now this section has to be fixed. I sat and thought about it for a while because I don't want to add any more bulk to this section (or as little as possible) and I came up with several possibilities:
1) I could rip this section out and create an entirely new appliqué section.
2) I could create new individual sections of turned-under lamé and appliqué those over the top of the purple and gold sections. 
3) I could create new gold and purple sections without turning under the edges (raw edge) and use Wonder-under to fuse those on top of the pieces that were cut.

     I decided on number 3 and here's why. Number 1 was just too labor intensive for such a small section and would have created bigger problems. It would have been like a home improvement project. You know the kind....where you start with one small project like replacing a bathroom faucet and you end up remodeling the entire bathroom because you find problems along the way. 
     Number 2 would have created more bulk at the edges of the pieces where it was turned under. It would have made it more difficult to appliqué those edges down. 
     So number 3 it was. It seemed like the least problematic solution. Fusing a raw edge piece down would eliminate bulk along the edges and prevent ripping anything out.  As for the raw edges, I was going to use a fine zig-zag anyway so that would prevent any fraying. 
     
So here's what I did...
1) I layed out my quilt nice and flat and used tracing paper to trace over the section I wanted to create using a regular mechanical pencil.


 2) Then, I ironed three layers of freezer paper together to create a stiff template material and ironed this to the BACK of the traced image. You want to iron it to the back because you have to think in reverse. If you iron the freezer paper to the front, the final piece of fabric will be reversed and not correct. 

  
 3) I then cut out the image on the line I drew. After cutting, I carefully peeled away the tracing paper from the freezer paper. 


4) I pressed the freezer paper template to the wrong side of a piece of lamé that I stabilized using a sheer weight fusible interfacing. I then carefully cut around the template.


5) After I did this, I peeled away the stabilized lamé from the freezer paper template.



6) I used my handy dandy glue stick (Elmers washable school glue stick) to glue the fabric shape to the fusible side of Wonder Under, NOT the paper side. (The fusible side is the rough side). You could also use a teflon pressing sheet to do this but this seemed just as easy.


7) Carefully cut around the fabric shape and peel away the paper backing from the fabric shape. 


8) I then fused this purple piece right over the top of the piece that was cut on my quilt. I repeated these same steps with the gold piece. I used Superior Monopoly (clear) and a very tiny zig-zag stitch to stich around each piece. 


Problem solved! You can't tell that anything was ever cut on the quilt and fixing it this way eliminated as much bulk as possible. 
Now I get to start quilting this top and have fun combining threads and patterns!

Happy Quilting!!!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic solution Jerry! Thanks so much for showing us this! It's going to be super wonderful!

    ReplyDelete